Beach Personality: Stunning But You Pay For The Pleasure
Main Beach East Hampton
Main Beach is the Village of East Hampton’s, well, main beach drawing the most daily visitors of all East Hampton’s beaches. That certainly doesn’t mean it’s crowded, even during the height of summer, due to the high cost of non-resident parking and East Hampton’s location near the easternmost end of Long Island.
The Village elders made a wise choice when it picked the location of Main Beach. It sports a very wide expanse of pristine (though slightly coarse) light beige sand and a gently sloping shoreline that leads into crystal clear ocean water. The combination of stunning location, numerous potential activities, and amenities make Main Beach an excellent destination for either a day trip or longer stay. If you do make the trip, East Hampton has many delightful B & Bs, good dining options, and lots of unique upscale shopping to round out your beach visit.
- Walking on the beach
- Boogie boarding
- Paddle boarding (SUP)
- Kite surfing
- Public bathrooms – Yes, in-season only.
- Showers – Yes, in-season only.
- Parking – Yes, for a fee from May 15 through September 15. Non-residents can purchase daily parking passes on weekdays. On weekends a total of 40 daily parking passes each day are sold. Non-residents can also buy seasonal parking permits. See the Village of East Hampton’s website.
- Food – Yes, in-season.
- Lifeguard – Yes, in-season.
- Dogs allowed on the beach – Yes, 6 pm through 9 am only from the second Sunday in May until September 30. Anytime from October 1 until the second Sunday in May.
In-season is weekends and holidays Memorial Day through the last Saturday in June, then daily until Labor Day, and then weekends only until September 30.
None at the beach, however, eastern Long Island rental spots within driving distance of Main Beach include…
Main Beach Surf and Sport
- Website: http://mainbeach.com/
- Address: 352 Montauk Highway, Wainscott NY 11975
- Phone: 631-537-2716
- Rentals include surfboards, paddleboards (SUP), kayaks, and canoes. They also offer surfing, kayaking and SUP lessons, and kayak and SUP tours.
Amagansett Beach & Bicycle Co.
- Website: http://www.amagansettbeachco.com/
- Address: 624 Montauk Highway, Amagansett New York 11930
- Phone: 631-267-6325
- Rentals include bikes, kayaks, paddleboards (SUP), rowing shells, surfboards, boogie boards, windsurfers, and skates. They also offer kayak lessons and bike, kayak and SUP tours.
- Website: http://www.uihleinsmarina.com/
- Address: 444 West Lake Drive, Montauk New York 11954
- Phone: 631-668-3799
- Rentals include boats, jet skis, kayaks, and tubes.
Springs General Store
- Website: http://www.springsgeneralstore.com/
- Address: 29 Old Stone Highway, East Hampton NY 11937
- Phone: 631-329-5065
- Offers kayak rentals, tours, and lessons.
Weekend Warrior Tours
- Website: http://www.weekendwarriortours.com/
- Address: 8 Main Street, Sag Harbor NY 11963
- Phone: 631-725-5950
- Rents kayaks and paddleboards (SUP). Also have kayak and SUP lessons and tours.
- Website: http://www.paddlediva.com/
- Address: Lincoln Avenue, East Hampton NY 11937
- Phone: 516-383-229661
- Specializes in working with women with paddleboard (SUP) rentals, lessons, and tours.
Main Beach is located at 101 Ocean Avenue in East Hampton NY 11937.
To many joyful beach experiences!
— Lisa Dworkin