Main Beach in Ogunquit Maine is one of the best beaches in New England, if not the entire US. How’s that possible when it borders the North Atlantic where the water is so cold? Brrr.
It’s because of the unique geologic conditions of the beach. Read on to learn more about Ogunquit’s Main Beach.
Main Beach Rating
Main Beach Personality: Very Family Friendly
Main Beach in Ogunquit Maine Review
As a result of its huge tidal fluctuations, Main Beach is like a natural water park for the whole family.
One of the best, and most unique, characteristics of Main Beach is that between low and high tides the variations of the sandy sea floor are exposed, or covered up, bit by bit. What this means is that sand is interspersed at frequent intervals with tide pools that are similar to wading pools. As a result Main Beach provides an amazing natural playground for children. They can build villages, run through the water, play with their beach toys, pretty much do anything their hearts’ desire in a safe environment.
Another unique feature of Main Beach results from the meeting of the Ogunquit River with the sea. When the tide is going out, it creates an ever-shrinking river with a swift current of water heading into the ocean. This makes for great floating, either with a raft or without, from past the bridge leading to the beach parking lot to almost the mouth of the river. It’s a completely natural lazy river!
Main Beach is also a fantastic walking beach because the sand is firm. Also, at low tide there are some areas where the sand is rippled from the currents. This “rippled” sand results in a very soothing massage-like effect when you walk on it with bare feet.
Main Beach Activities:
- Floating down the Ogunquit River
- Tide pooling
- Building sand castles
- Paddle boarding (SUP)
- Kite flying
- Walking on the beach
- Skim boarding
Main Beach Amenities:
- Public bathrooms – Yes.
- Showers – Yes.
- Parking – Yes, for a fee.
- Food – Yes, both carry out and sit down, are available adjacent to the beach.
- Lifeguard – Yes.
- Dogs allowed on the beach – Off-season only from October 1st to March 31st.
Main Beach Rentals:
- Bikes, kayaks, wheeled kayak carts, paddle boards (SUP), umbrellas, chairs, wheeled coolers, fishing gear, screen houses, and sailboats are available for rent from Fun and Sun Rentals.
- Chairs and umbrellas are available for rent from the Norseman Motel right at the beach.
- Chairs, umbrellas, carts, coolers, boogie boards, skim boards, and bocce sets are available for rent from Ogunquit Beach ‘n’ Sport.
- Kayaks and paddle boards (SUP) are available for rent from World Within Sea Kayaking.
Main Beach Directions:
Main Beach is located in the town of Ogunquit, Maine. Take US Route 1 to Beach Street. Beach Street is located in the center of Ogunquit where US Route 1, Shore Road, and Beach Street intersect. Turn east on Beach Street and continue until you reach the parking lot and Main beach.
To many joyful beach experiences!
— Lisa Dworkin