Beach Personality: Charming Local Beach
Avon-by-the-Sea isn’t a destination beach that you travel to from a long distance, but it’s a beautiful local beach. Plus, if you’re in or near northern New Jersey it makes a great day trip.
In addition to the lovely and spotlessly clean beach, Avon-by-the Sea offers a lot of nice amenities. There’s a boardwalk and a fishing pier as well as the usual beach activities. There are also two restaurants and a beach store. One restaurant and the beach store are right on the boardwalk at Norwood Avenue and the other restaurant, The Columns, is directly across Ocean Avenue. If you enjoy Victorian architecture, take a stroll through the adjacent residential area.
- Boogie boarding
- Paddle boarding (SUP)
- Summertime entertainment and events.
- Public bathrooms – Yes.
- Showers – Yes.
- Parking – Yes, free, although beach badges must be purchased for beach entry during the summer.
- Food – Yes, Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day.
- Lifeguard – Yes, Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day.
- Dogs allowed on the beach – Yes, October 1st through May 1st.
Additional Amenities — playground.
Avon-by-the-Sea is located on Ocean Avenue between Norwood Avenue and Washington Avenue in Avon-by-the-Sea, New Jersey 07717. To reach Avon-by-the-Sea from Route 35 North or South, turn at Sylvania Avenue. Continue driving until you reach Ocean Avenue. Look for the nearest parking spot.
To many joyful beach experiences!
— Lisa Dworkin
Photos courtesy of Lisa Dworkin. More photos on Flickr.